CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, October 30, 2009

Blue Raspberry Pie


Today, I made a delicious berry pie with raspberries, blueberries and a crumb topping. We have made tons of tarts and pies lately trying to get ride of all the frozen berries in our freezer before we move. At one points we had 14 lbs of raspberries, 20 lbs of blueberries and 16 lbs of blackberries. After today's pie I only have 6 lbs. of berries left, Just enough for Thanksgiving pies!

I have to be honest and tell you I cheated and bought pie crusts today. I always make my own crusts but with all that craziness of getting settled in our temporary housing I wasn't up for the mess today.

Here is my eber-lious recipe. Enjoy!!

Blue Raspberry Pie
Makes 2 pies


Ingredients for filling:
1-1/2 cup sugar
7 TBSP cornstarch
½ tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
4 cups blueberries
4 cups raspberries

2 -9 inch pie crusts.

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees
2. Mix sugar, cornstarch, salt, and cinnamon, and sprinkle over blueberries. Heat on the stove until all the berries are thawed, stirring frequently. Pour the berry mix in a strainer to get rid of the extra juices.
3. Line pie dish with one pie crust. Pour berry mixture into the crust.
4. Make crumb topping

Crumb topping Ingredients:
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar

1/4 cup cold butter
1 dash ground cinnamon
Directions:
In a small bowl, combine flour and sugar. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle over fruit pies. Sprinkle with cinnamon if desired.

5. Bake pie on lower shelf of oven for about 50 minutes, or until crust is golden brown.

3 comments:

Kaylene said...

When you say "enjoy" does that mean I can come and get a piece. That does look very yummy and blueberry is my favorite. I'll just have to try and make one myself since I'm sure there is not any left.

Nicole D said...

We took them to the chili cook off last night.

Gary Dusbabek said...

Nicole, I think the recipe should state that the berries should be drained *before* mixing with the sugar, starch, etc., instead of after cooking.