CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Stuffed Shells

I have had a lot of positive feedback about the recipes I have posted. I have decide I will occasionally throw in a few non-crockpot meals. This recipe isn't really fast but it is very easy. I sometimes make the filling grate the cheese on one day, then the next day make the shells and assemble it.

The recipe below makes enough stuffing for two batches. I make a large batch and them freeze the left over stuffing so it is faster and easier the next time I make it.


This is one of my favorite recipes. I had never had stuffed shells until Sadie was born and a wonderful neighbor brought us dinner. From the first bit I was sold! Here is the recipe Gary and I came up.

My Stuffed Shells
1 jar spaghetti sauce
8 oz mushrooms, washed and diced
1 egg
1 large container ricotta cheese
16 oz mozzarella cheese, shredded
Jumbo shells
1 pk frozen chopped spinach (opt.)
1/4 c. parmesan cheese
2 lbs lean ground beef
3/4-1 lb. ground sausage

Thaw and drain spinach. Brown sausage and ground beef and drain. Cook shells according to directions on box. Mix ricotta and egg well. Add diced mushrooms, spinach, ground beef and sausage to ricotta mix.

Set up shells in a 9x13 pan. stuff with meat mixture. Top with spaghetti sauce and cover with foil. Bake for 30 minutes at 350*. Remove cover and add mozzarella and bake for 10 minutes until cheese is melted.

This recipe freezes well. However, when freezing don't top with cheese until after you have cooked it.

RATING: 5 stars. This is one of my favorite dishes to make. The kids love it too. I prefer it without spinach but my husband likes it better with spinach. It is all about personal preference weather you include the spinach or not. :-)

0 comments: