CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Cafe Rio Sweet Pork and more

It has been awhile since I posted a crockpot recipe. Life has been crazy. This recipe is a culmination of several that I found online. I have made this twice now and Gary said it was the best meal I have cooked in a long time. While you might think that means I don't cook often, that is not the case. This meal is just that fabulous!!!

Sweet Pork
4-5 lbs pork roast
1-1/2 jars salsa (16 oz)
1-1/2 c. brown sugar

Place roast in crockpot, dump salsa and brown sugar on top. Stir occasionally. Cook for 5-6 hours. I like to chop my roast after a bit so that more surface area is covered by the mixture. It would probably be really good to add partially cooked onions (not quite carmalized) to the crockpot. You can also use chopped pork chops.

Shred/chop roast and add to salad, burittos etc.

Tomatillo Ranch dressing
Yeilds 4 cups

1 can tomatillos (or 3 fresh chopped)
1-1/2 c ranch dressing ( I used BYU light)
1/2 bunch cilantro chopped
juice from 1/2 of a lime
1 clove garlic minced
3 green onions chopped
1/2-1 jalepeno, chopped with seeds removed

mix well in a blender and refrigerate.

**instead of ranch dressing you can add 1 cup mayo, 1 cup milk and 1 ranch packet.

This dressing tastes great and is similair to Bajios dressing that I just love. WARNING: this makes a lot of dressing, you may want to cut the portions if you can't use this quantity quickly.

Sweet Rice
5 c water
4 t chicken boullion
3-4 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 bunch cilantro, chopped
1 can green chilies (or 1/2-1 jalepeno seeded and chopped)
3/4 t salt (opt. you can let each person add salt as they please)
1/2 onion, chopped
3 cups rice

Blend cilantro, green chilies and onion together in blender. Bring water to a boil and add all ingredients. simmer coverd for 30 minutes or until rice is cooked.

We like to make this into something simliar to the Ensalada Bajio (from Bajio's) by adding tortillas, lettuce, cheese, black beans, pico de gallo, and of course sweet rice, pork and tomatillo dressing.

I would reccomend making the dressing the day before just becuase it makes a large mess when you make everything at once. If you are short on time make the rice the day before also.


RATING: 5 Starts
Modifications: None! Next time I might try it with chicken breast.

1 comments:

Sarbear said...

KC and I love that salad from Bajio. We found a similar sweet rice recipe online that we use all the time for our tacos and taco salads. I had been wanting to attempt their meat, but wasn't sure what to call it, so I will have to try your pork recipe. Thanks! We also make homemade soft tortillas and make tacos, or put them on the bottom of the salad.

Have you tried the salad with Basalmic vinegarette dressing? At bajio it was (is?) one of the options for a dressing and I really love it.