CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Crockpot Tuesday

Tuesday (& Wednesdays) have become the crazy day(s) of week at our house. It looks like with the busyness of it will also come crockpot Tuesday and Left over Wednesday. I think I will start posting good recipes as I discover them. I won't waste my time with posting the yucky ones.


Crockpot Corn Chowder

2 cups diced ham (opt)
4 cups Chicken stock (or broth- if using broth eliminate or use less salt)
1 onion chopped
1 red pepper chopped
2 handfuls chopped baby carrots-chopped
1 cup frozen corn
3 med. potatoes, chopped
Salt and pepper to taste

Brown onion in oil in saucepan, cooked but not totally translucent. (it will cook more in crockpot).

Dump everything into crockpot. Cook on high 4-6 h hours or low for 8-9 hours.
Use a hand blender to "chowerfy" before serving. Be careful, it's hot!

My rating of this recipe: I wasn't blown away by it, but it was good. Gary really liked it. 3 stars (out of 5).
Modification for next time: add at least 3 more potatoes.


DAY 2 left overs:
On day two I modified the recipe to change it up a bit and improve the taste. Here is what I did.


Add 1 cup whole milk
1/4 c. potato pearls/flakes (wait to add until boiling so they dissolve well)
3 med. potatoes chopped.

Put in large pot on stove and bring to boil, reduce to simmer and cover until potatoes are cooked. I cooked mine for 1-1/2 hours. Keep stirring and make sure your temperature isn't to hot so you don't scorch the bottom.

My rating of this recipe: This was much better than day 1. The potato flakes were a great way to thicken it. We love a thick and cream soup at our house. The changes were really good. 4 stars me, 4-1/2 stars Gary.
Modification for next time: Make it this way from day one.


**Note this is last weeks recipe, I am just late posting it. This weeks will be up later in the week and it is a really good one.

0 comments: