CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, October 3, 2010

Conference & Crêpes

Fresh back from Germany, I decided it would be fun to try my hand at making crêpes this morning.  It seemed to require only a tool (for spreading the crêpe batter), the batter itself and a skillet with the right heat.  I've never been one for letting a lack of tools prevent me from starting a project, so I forged ahead with the idea that getting the heat right would be accomplished with simple experimentation.  And the batter, well, that would be easy--after all, I'm a pancake maven.

Germany. I ended up eating the one on the right,
topped with nutella.

With my able assistant, the young Jackson, I found a simple recipe at about.com and began composing a batter.  The kids were antsy, so we only let the batter sit for 30 minutes instead of an hour.  The first crêpe tasted like an omelet, more or less, so I decided to add more flour (1/3 C), water (1/3 C) and milk (1/3 C).  The next crêpe was spot-on, so we decided to roll with it.  I found the spreader to be unnecessary because the batter is so runny that simply tilting the skillet does a good job at spreading the stuff.

Jack, enjoying the first crepe.
We had raspberries and whipped cream on hand in the refrigerator, and there's always plenty of nutella in our house.  I wish we had bananas though.  Even Nicole, who doesn't care much for pancakes or waffles when I make them, ended up eating one.  Double-plus-good in my book.
We had fruit, whipped cream, nutella and powdered sugar.

Today is the second day of General Conference, and we all decided that "Conference and Crêpes" sounded like a fun tradition to start.  I'll let you know how it goes when April rolls around.

Yum!

0 comments: