CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, December 11, 2009

Playing Catch-up

Flashback three weeks to the week of December 7, 2009.

It is that time of year where life gets crazy and time flies right past you. The holidays always seem to bring out the hustle and bustle in people. I'd really like to have a slow paced and relaxed season without all the worry of Christmas parties to attend, neighbor gifts to prepare, cooking, cleaning, etc. I was looking forward to playing catch up with my blog as I still have lots of events to share from our last months in UT.

I thought I had a good handle on things and then life threw me a curve ball. My mom fell and broke her hip and had to have surgery. She will have to go to a rehab center for 2-6 weeks and then she may still not be fully capable of doing the things she did before.

My father is unable to take care of himself in most regards. He can do some things but not enough to get by without my mom around. He can't change the sheets, do the dishes, wash the laundry, clean, vacuum or take out the trash. He struggles to get himself dressed. He doesn't have a very good memory and he forgets a lot of things that are told to him. With him left alone at the house I am concerned about him keeping his medicine straight and making wise decisions with that. He does have a medicare nurse who comes in 3 days a week to get him showered and ready for the day.

I know things could be much worse but it is still hard to not stress over things you have little control over. It is hard to coordinate care for my parents from a distance. Multiple phone calls each day to both my parents and sometimes siblings too to keep the basics covered is making me very tired. It is hard to not feel guilty for leaving, but we did what we needed to do for our family. It is hard to rely on the Lord and leave the rest to him after you have done all you can do.

I know they have a great ward who is willing to step in and help. I have great friends and neighbors in the area that are more than willing to act when needed. Their home teacher has been wonderful and going above and beyond the call of duty. I appreciate everyone's service, love and comfort.

Flash forward to present...

It is amazing all the help that has been given to my parents. All the friends that have contacted me to offer help. I've had meals brought in at the last minute when someone forgot, I've had grocery shopping done, visits made, mail picked up, furniture moved and laundry done. Both friends and family have stepped in to help.

My sister Janell is now there with my parents to help them as much as she can. Her 17 year-old daughter Alicia is spending the holiday with me. My siblings have pulled together to assist in my parents care: paying for airfare and travel for my sister, sacrificing time with family to care for our parents and traveling hours to visit and shop for them. I am amazed how it all turned out. It also appears that my mom will be coming home this week, just in time for Christmas. My sister will have her work cut out for her with both my parents being home and needing care. I hope she is physically up for the task. With her history of health problems she isn't the strongest or healthiest of the siblings but she IS willing.

With things falling into place maybe I will finally be able to get got up on my blog...just maybe. Stay tuned to find out.

(This was written nearly two weeks ago but I forgot to post it. I am posting it anyway because I want to remember these details).

0 comments: